Indonesian officials have confirmed that remains and debris found in the waters off Borneo are from the plane.
The authorities say that seven bodies have now been retrieved.
A public memorial will be held in Surabaya on Wednesday evening local time, and the governor of East Java province has told the BBC that all New Year Eve celebrations have been cancelled.
“Now we are focused on praying for the victims,” said Soekarwo, who uses one name like many Indonesians. “This is a big tragedy for Indonesia and we will do our best for the victims and their families.”
AirAsia previously had an excellent safety record and there were no fatal accidents involving its aircraft.
The head of the airline, Tony Fernandes, said he was “absolutely devastated” and that the priority was on the wellbeing of passengers’ families.
See full story on bbc.com