No one ever said being an entrepreneur would be easy. The naysayers and budget woes can be enough for the average person to start waving the white flag. Yet when this whole entrepreneur thing becomes overwhelming, take a break and look for some much needed motivation.
Here are 7 movies that every entrepreneur needs to watch:
1. The Social Network : After all, everyone wanted to see how Mark Zuckerberg became transformed from a Harvard student to launching the most popular social-media network in the world.
Why watch it? The film gives viewers a better understanding of how to make a startup succeed by exhibiting such qualities as being flexible and resilient.
2. The Pursuit Of Happyness: Based on the true story of Chris Gardner, this 2006 Will Smith vehicle is one of the most heartwarming and motivational films for entrepreneurs.
Why watch it? Even though he became homeless and struggled to provide for his son, Chris never gave up on his dream. That passion and sacrifice is something every entrepreneur should be willing to embrace.
3. Rocky: This is another film that everyone has to watch at least once. Sylvester Stallone wrote and starred in this ultimate underdog tale of Rocky Balboa going the distance with boxing heavyweight champion Apollo Creed. Why watch it? Even when the world tells you that you’ll never have a chance to succeed, keep fighting.
4. Jerry Maguire: The protagonist, Jerry Maguire (Tom Cruise), had it all: a great career, lots of friends and a beautiful fiancé. One day, however, he has an epiphany: Sports agents shouldn’t just be looking at the money scenes but how to take care of their clients. Jerry loses everything and goes on journey to regain everything he’s lost.
Why watch it? When you’re following your dream, everything else will fall into place both professionally and personally. Jerry Maguire eventually learns this valuable lesson
5. Glengarry Glen Ross : Based on David Mamet’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play, this film explores the cutthroat world of Chicago real estate. Glengarry Glen Ross takes a closer look at the lies and betrayals people endure just to succeed in business.
Why watch it? Unfortunately, the business world can be brutal, something you’ll learn even as a salesperson.
6. Pirates of Silicon Valley: This was a made-for-TV movie released in 1999 that covers the early days of the country’s leading technology hub and the eventual rise of both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. The documentary-style movie provides an interesting take on the lives of the founders of Microsoft and Apple.
Why watch it? Entrepreneurs are still looking for inspiration from these two iconic “pirates.” It definitely provides pointers to learn from.
7. Citizen Kane (70th Anniversary): Even if you’re not an entrepreneur, watch Orson Welles’ 1941 masterpiece. The film revolves around the life of a fictitious Charles Foster Kane, a newspaper tycoon loosely based on William Randolph Hearst and his quest for fortune and power.
Why watch it? While launching a successful business is a goal of every entrepreneur, it’s not the only goal in life.
Full story on entrepreneur.com